AlPiNA requires Eclipse and a number of plugins. Even if it is possible to install AlPiNA in an existing Eclipse home, we recommend to use a fresh install in order to avoid any incompatibility.
Install the dependencies
To install AlPiNA please follow the following steps:
- Install a JDK 5 or JDK6 from http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp, for a complete installation guide please refer to:http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/index.html. Once the installation is complete, start a shell or a command window and type: java -version. You should get something similar to:
- Download Eclipse version called "Eclipse Modeling Tools (includes Incubating components)" which can found at http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/
- Uncompress Eclipse wherever you want. The Eclipse home directory looks like:
- Start Eclipse by clicking on the blue icon called "Eclipse"
- It will ask you where you want to put your workspace. It is better to create a new workspace in order to not interfere with existing projects and installation. Tick the "Use this as the default and do not ask again" box.
- After you confirmed, it comes a welcome screen, just discard it by clicking on the Arrow "Go To Workbench".
- The next step is to install the required plugins (that are not standard to the Eclipse Modelling Tool). These required plugins are included in the openArchitectureWare framework. If you are working with Eclipse Ganymede, you can install the following three components:
- openArchitectureWare Classic feature
- openArchitectureWare Core feature
- openArchitectureWare XText feature
- To install those plugins, open the the Software Updates and Add-ons Panel (Help > Software Updates).
- This window contains the list of all installed plugins. Switch to the "Available Software" view.
- Using this window, user can add new plugins to its Eclipse installation. We will now add the required plugins from http://www.openarchitectureware.org/.
- Click on "Add Site" and complete the location field using: http://www.openarchitectureware.org/updatesite/milestone/site.xml
- Click OK. A new line has shown up in the list. Open the detailled view by clicking on the horizontal arrow. Tick the corresponding options as described below and then click the install button. If an error message called "No repository Found" pops up, check the address you just entered. It may also be another plugin in the list of which the web site is not available.
If you are working with Eclipse Galileo, select the whole openArchitectureWare framework.
- The next dialog box reviews the plugins to install and the potiential problems. Click on the "Next" button.
- Tick the "radio button" called "I accept the terms of the license agreements..." and finally click "Finish".
- Eclipse will download and install the plugins. Once finished it will advice you to restart the workbench. Click on "Yes".
The next step: AlPiNA installation explains how to install AlPiNA itself.